Here at Schmitt, if you can imagine it, you can achieve it! We hold our students to high expectations and encourage them to reach for the stars. Our school-wide focus is on Common Core State Standards, rigor, academic language and promoting communication and collaboration by utilizing appropriate digital and other resources. In addition, our students are provided with physical education, art and music classes. We also have after school programing: SOAR and SCORES. With over 170 pieces of technology solely dedicated to student-use and promethium boards in every classroom, our students leave Schmitt with the skills to be successful in middle school, high school and beyond.
We are very proud of our diverse student population! With approximately 10 different home languages spoken at Schmitt, about 60% of our students are emerging bilinguals. To ensure student success, we offer TNLI (Transitional Native Language Instruction) and ESL (English as a Second Language) instruction. Our staff is committed to supporting students as they learn English at school, while honoring and cultivating the native languages and cultures that they bring from home. Bi-literate students is the goal for all emerging bilinguals.
We welcome students with disabilities and guarantee high-quality instruction for all. Our students not only receive reading and math interventions, but also receive enrichment-based interventions, specific to every child’s needs. Schmitt has partnered with the Mental Health Center of Denver (MHCD) to provide additional support to students and families, including student and family counseling that extends beyond the school year into the summer months.
- Full-day ECE
- Full-day Kindergarten
- Special programs: Gifted and Talented, Special Education, ESL, GIFT Time and Mental Health Services
- After-school programs: basketball, choir, arts, soccer, SOAR, SCORES, Girls on the Run
- Breakfast in the classroom for every student
- Snack program for every child 4 days a week
- Community Resource Nights
- Parent Teacher Home Visit Program
- Parent Advisory Committee (ELA-PAC)
- Parent Volunteer Opportunities
- Collaborative School Committee (CSC)
- Positive Behavior Supports